Sunday, March 11, 2007

Perspective...Continued

As you may or may not know, I was the female co-host on a morning radio show for several years. For those of you that have ever held this job- you already know this...for the rest of you? Allow me to explain...

The job of a female co-host is to gossip. Daily. Whether it's our opinions on celebrities, politicians, or Joe Schmo that somehow made the news. We are to have a strong opinion (not too strong, lest we come across as a know-it-all)...any opinion...just something to get people talking and calling in.

It's been 6 months and 4 days since I left radio. On my 6 month anniversary- I had a revelation. The gossip and opinions I was expressing daily were wearing me down. To judge people and make fun of people...people I've never met in my life...was truly taking a toll on my mind and my body. I was finding humor at the expense of others in order to maintain my job.

In the voice over world, it is quite the opposite. I find a community that strives to build each other up. If there is criticism, it is constructive. We each want to succeed, and aren't afraid to help others find a similar success.

My Pastor says, "Garbage in, garbage out". It can be said the opposite way as well.

You get what you give...the energy released to the universe is the energy that finds its way back to your soul. If you stand in constant judgement of others, you eventually find it is yourself that is in need of judgement.

Today, I am more free and calm than I have been in years. I watch the news and look for the things that will bring positive energy to my life- not for things I can make fun of.

Change your perspective, and you will find it changing your life!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Kara. Thanks for writing such an eloquent post. I also agree that the energy you send out to the universe comes back to you.

Your thoughts on judgment were particularly interesting. I have recently discovered that when you hold a mirror up to someone else, it reflects back at you. Whatever criticism you utter about someone else is something that you need to correct about yourself.

I have found Miguel Ruiz's book The Four Agreements to be especially helpful in changing my perspective. The first agreement is to be impeccable to your word, which includes eliminating gossip.

People don't realize how important the words they think and speak are to their happiness and well-being. As you have pointed out, by changing your perspective, you literally can change your life -- for the better!

Thanks again for sharing your experience, and best wishes for your continued success!

Karen Commins
www.AVOICEAboveTheCrowd.com
www.KarenBlogs.com

Kara Edwards said...

Karen-

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments! I read The Four Agreements many years ago and loved it! Any book that makes you consider your own roll in the world is worth its weight in gold!

Of course, over the years it's easy to forget lessons you once learned- that's why I love (and live for!) moments that bring you back to reality. The last six months have been filled with those moments- and I couldn't be happier!

Thank you again for visiting my blog! For those who haven't done so- please check out Karen's blog- it has been a source of knowledge and inspiration for me!

Kara