Monday, March 19, 2007

A New client, A New Friend

The last couple of weeks have been very busy for me- which I am SO delighted about! In fact, I've spent as much time working as I have marketing- which is a first for me in my new profession. The new kids show I've been working on managed to fill a few days, I recorded a new set of radio commercials for KB Homes in Charlotte, and I picked up three new clients! One of my new clients is the Cartoon Network- and I had a blast with all four words I voiced! (seriously- it was four words and a giggle- heheh!) A big thank you to Brian Haymond for helping me make the connection.

OK- I promise this won't be an entire blog about the work I've been getting- although it is very exciting! This is a blog about one new client in particular.

His name is Jim and he owns a video editing company in Florida. Jim contacted me to voice an employee training video for a company that creates fairs and amusement parks.

Right off the bat, in the very first e-mail, I knew I would like Jim. He had the normal professional job proposal, but the last line was something like, "I also liked Shawshank redemption but didn't like Saw- must be a generational thing." Jim was obviously doing his homework on me.

The e-mail exchanges have continued over the last several days, both of us asking questions about the other's lives in addition to passing along scripts and audio samples.

In fact, I've noticed the 'job' portions of the e-mails tend to be short and toward the end, while the 'conversation' portions fill the pages. Yup. I really like Jim.

It turns out Jim began his company after retiring. He was good with a camera and wanted something new to do. He continues to strive for great success so that his two young employees will have a secure future ahead of them.

I've learned a lot about Jim...his kids, five grandchildren, and wife. He's been to my Myspace page and says my husband reminds him of 'Storm' from X-Men.

Jim is the type of client that comes along every once and a while and reminds you what a great business we work in.

Not only do I have a new client...I have a great new friend.

2 comments:

Joseph Comine said...

Hi Kara,

I've read a few of your blogs and I have to say you are pretty amazing.

I'm trying my hand at voice acting and I was wondering if you could tell me about Voices.com.

I've been trying to decide if I should sign up with them but I'd like to ask someone who already works with them, what their opinion is.

Appreciate any feedback...and thanks for all of the great reading...really enjoying reading what's on your mind.

Thanks

Joseph Comine

Kara Edwards said...

Joseph,

Thank you for your kind comments! Welcome to the world of voice acting...I adore it! :)

I have truly enjoyed my experience with Voices.com. Not only is the staff the best around, but they really go out of their way to listen to their clients and talent. It is YOUR site, and will be what you make of it.

While I have not booked many jobs through the auditioning process, I have had several clients contact me after seeing my page there. I am a believer that the more exposure you have, the better your chances of success are. Voices.com is professional and clean...meaning the site looks good and so will you. Make sure your expectations are what they should be...use it as a tool, not a get rich quick scheme...and I believe you will be very happy with your experience.

Please keep in contact and let me know how your career is progressing!

Kara