Saturday, February 16, 2008

Will Work For Food

In my opinion, the most difficult part of being a non-union, full-time voice actor living in a right-to-work state is the setting of rates. I have lost work because I am 'too expensive' and I have slapped myself upside the head upon realizing I totally could have charged more. (Union rates, after all, are only a minimum)

That's why, when the occasion arises to simply 'work for food' it can be the most rewarding experience of all.

Let me explain...a few days ago I received a call from one of my favorite local studios, The Groundcrew. A mutual friend of ours at Hot Sake was putting together a series of animations for Charlotte's Addy Awards. He needed voices for the characters, and about 7 of us were asked to come to the studio to 'play'.

The pay would come in the form of food, and fun. Upon arriving at the studio, I found some of the best darn pizza money can buy along with some of my favorite voice actors in the area.

The sky was the limit when we began recording- we could create any silly characters we wanted. I don't want to spoil anything for those attending the awards, so I'll hold off on any specifics for now.

Money is a stress in any business. We all want to be fairly compensated for our unique talents. However, on occasion, it is nice to be reminded why I do this job. It isn't so I can get rich. It is because I love the job, the people, and the experiences it provides.

Given the choice between staying home on a Friday afternoon with my nose to the grindstone earning a few bucks; or spending a few hours laughing, bonding, and creating- in exchange for pizza...I'd just assume work for food.

A note to my wonderful clients: No, this does not mean you can pay me in mozzarella now :)

2 comments:

Nancy Wolfson said...

I'll make you a deal - you keep on workin' in the spirit of good love and pizza, and I'll make it my mission to try to make you rich. That other kind of "rich" that comes from MONEY. Deal? Deal.
;))
Nancy

Kara Edwards said...

Nancy,

Hahah! Looks like my next blog will be, "How to surround yourself with good people who have your best interest at heart"! Thank you for being so great. :)

Kara