I try to spend an hour each morning reading interesting articles about business and voice over. It helps to start the day with fresh ideas, and I like seeing what people are up to. This week, however, there seemed to be a very negative energy in the air...at least with the articles I've come across. The one that put me slightly over the edge was the article that explained in detail the 9 ways my business would fail. Ok, it didn't target me specifically- it was written for anyone who owned a business.
The way I see it, there are plenty of unhappy things going on in the world today, so why contribute in any way to the negativity?
So, without further ado- here are the top 11 reasons I believe you are going to be a great success:
1. You care about your product. You've invested time and money into proper training, ensuring you can handle anything that comes your way.
2. You are trust worthy. You deliver your product on time and in the way your client asks you to (note: please check out my friend Caryn Clark's great blog on integrity).
3. You have the proper tools. Your studio sounds great, and the files you deliver are clean (no hum, mouth noise, unnecessary compression or EQ).
4. You are professional. From the first phone call or e-mail to the final invoice, you are up-front with your turn around time and rates, and you deliver on your promises.
5. You are likable. Relating back to a previous blog I wrote, your clients call you again and again because they enjoy you as a talent- and as a person. Other talents admire and like you as well, and aren't afraid to refer you to their own clients.
6. You are honest. If there is something you can't do, you are upfront about it. If the project is going to take longer than expected, you call your clients to let them know as soon as possible.
7. You are consistent. You take care of your voice (your tools) so that you are always able to deliver the same great product.
8. You value your services. You don't drop your rates to get the job, or 'beat out' someone else. You know you are worth the money the client will spend.
9. Your pride never gets in the way. You realize this job isn't about you, it's about providing a great product. You don't worry about auditions you didn't book, you don't take it personally if the client decides to go another direction.
10. You are innovative. Your studio is always up to date, and you are always researching ways to better yourself and your services.
11. You are a positive inspiration. The most powerful word in the English language is 'choose'. Every day you choose to say positive things, think positive thoughts, and be an inspiration to those around you.
So, there you have it. 11 reasons I know your voice over business will be a great success! I am quite sure there are many, many more reasons- so feel free to leave a comment and tell us about them!
Kara Edwards Voice Over