Friday, June 20, 2008

It Just Might Pay to be Nice!

My husband likes to tease me from time to time for my 'do-good' attitude by calling me 'Poppins', short for Mary Poppins. Admittedly, I do have a small complex about how one action can bring about another action that might have a negative result.

In short, I'm a big believer in Karma.

Today I was reminded that you never really know when something you do might leave a very bad taste in someone else's mouth...and who that someone might just be.

Let me explain...this morning I had a voice session in uptown Charlotte. I was running about 10 minutes early (I always arrive 10-15 minutes before the session is scheduled to begin) and was not exactly driving with my 'pedal to the metal'.

As I exited off the highway and turned right onto the side street, and car came flying up behind me. He tried to go around me on my right, but I was in the process of changing lanes so I could make my next turn. So, he spun around to my left and went past me at a very high rate of speed. Then, he cut me off to make the next turn.

I've been known to call out a name or two to bad drivers, but I don't have what most would call 'road rage'. So- I kept driving, only it dawned on me that Speed Racer and I were making the same turns (he was now ahead of me). When he pulled into the studio ahead of me, it was all I could do to keep from getting out of the car laughing hysterically!

It was clear by the look on his face that he was surprised when the 'slow poke' pulled in behind him. Without a word, we both entered the studio. We were handed scripts and realized we would be in the session together.

Honestly, he was a very nice guy, and crazy talented- we had a great session. I never said anything about our driving experience, and neither did he.

Driving home, it dawned on me...what if I had been the producer, the director, or worse- the client? THAT would have made for an uncomfortable session! Hah!

In our business, you never know who the next person is that will be hiring you, directing you, working with you, or discovering your abilities. It pays to be kind to everyone you meet, because it's a small world and most people have very good memories. A bad first impression will always stick, while a good first impression can bring about great things.

No comments: